Monday, August 24, 2009

Chapter 32

“How are you feeling?” Brianna asked me as I put the finishing touches on my makeup.

“I’m good,” I lied. She gave me a look that told me she knew I was lying. “Okay, I’m nervous as hell, but I’ll be good,” I amended. She smiled and wrapped an arm around my shoulders.

“You better be. This is my rehearsal dinner. Only Ryan and I are supposed to be nervous wrecks.”

Over a year had passed since I’d seen Corey in Hawaii, and a lot had happened. Another hockey season had gone by and ended in disappointment in the playoffs for Anaheim. I’d filmed two movies, and was on hiatus for Brianna’s wedding in the middle of a third. I’d also had a once in a while guest spot on a popular TV series. Everything in my life was exactly how I’d always wanted it, minus one person.

It had taken a long time, but I could now not only hear Corey’s name, but could talk about him without feeling like someone was ripping my heart out of my chest. I wasn’t dating anyone else and I wasn’t looking to either. I’d been so busy with my career I could hardly believe more than a year had gone by, let alone find time for a new relationship. I had learned through Brianna, without having to ask, that Corey hadn’t been seeing anyone at all either. For some reason I felt like I should know, even if it wasn't my right to care if he was.

Now, 14 months later, I was about to see Corey again. We’d randomly seen each other around LA two or three times, but it had been just in passing. There hadn’t been more than a short greeting and sad smile passed between the two of us. Now I was the maid of honor and he was the best man at our best friends’ wedding. There was no getting out of talking to him.

“Are you ready?” Brianna asked. I nodded and followed her out to the limo that would serve as our transportation for the night.

We picked up other members of the wedding party and made our way to the rehearsal. I walked in and was immediately greeted by many of the Ducks and their significant others. While I had avoided any team parties, I’d stayed in touch with many of the girls, who I’d grown to actually like. If I was in town I hadn’t turned down a single girls’ night when their guys were out of town.

I mingled with the group in attendance. As I was laughing at something Brianna’s mother had said I just knew Corey had arrived. Slowly I turned to look at the doorway and didn’t see him. I began to think that it was just nerves getting to me when he walked through the door. And he looked good. Damn, him. He couldn’t show up looking homeless and make it easy on me, could he?

His eyes locked on mine almost immediately as if he had sensed where I was standing. He gave me a small smile and nod in recognition and I did the same. Then he made his way around the room saying hi to everyone. I knew that eventually we’d have to talk, but I was hoping to have a little liquid courage in me before then. When I saw him grab a beer, I knew he was probably feeling the same.

“You look good,” he said to me when we were thrown together a little later on.

“Thank you. So do you.”

That was the extent of our conversation for the night. We’d been involved in the same conversation numerous times, but it had always been in a group. Everyone in attendance that night knew what the situation was, and they were trying to make it as easy on both of us as possible. We both managed to joke around and laugh in each other’s presence which was better than we did in our first reunion two years prior.

When it was all over the bride's half of the wedding party took Brianna out for the last night she’d be single. It was nothing fancy or crazy. Just a fun, low key night ending in us all crashing at my place. Brianna, the other three bridesmaids, and I lounged around my living room watching chick flicks and chatting before we were all too exhausted to stay up any longer.

The next morning came the task of getting her ready for the biggest day of her life thus far. Her closest family members and Ticia came over for breakfast and mimosas before the makeover started. In time Brianna’s hair and makeup were complete and we were stuffing her and her dress into the limo with all of us and heading to the church. When Brianna turned to look at me after I finished zipping up her dress I nearly cried.

“You look amazing,” I told her. She hugged me and then did the same with everyone else.

Not long after, it was time to start. I checked my reflection one last time before walking out of the room to prepare for the walk down the aisle with Corey. He was standing there when I walked out and smiled when he saw me. I returned the smile and stepped next to him.

“You look beautiful, Amelia,” he whispered as he took my arm in his. We were walking down the aisle before I had a chance to respond. Instead I spent the whole walk saddened by the fact that he hadn’t called me “Meels.”

When Brianna stepped into sight I peeked over to look at Ryan. His reaction was everything I was hoping it would be, and more. It was obvious in that moment that if anyone doubted his love for Brianna before, seeing that expression would change their minds in a hurry.

When it was over we headed to the reception where Corey and I went our separate ways to try to greet everyone before the Getzlafs arrived. We were finally seated after their arrival and had an exquisite dinner. Brianna couldn’t keep the smile off of her face and I couldn’t have been happier for her.

After dinner it was time for the speeches. I got up and gave mine first. I didn’t want to try to do the funny speech, opting to go for more of a sentimental one, but I made sure to throw a few jabs in there at Brianna. Then it was Corey’s turn. He went with the funny speech, and I could hardly keep from laughing during the whole thing. Then the last bit really got me.

“Not everyone is lucky enough to find their match and hold on to them. Ryan, hold on to Brianna. You’ll never find anyone better.” His eyes bore right into mine as he finished. I turned away when I felt a tear slide down my cheek. I wiped it away and put on a smile as the microphone was passed along.

Later on I watched as Brianna and Ryan shared their first dance together. As I watched them dance I couldn’t get Corey’s words out of my head. I’m sure most people didn’t think anything of them, but to me there was no mistaking their meaning. It was impossible not to know what he’d meant with him staring right into my eyes as he said it.

“Would you like to dance?” I heard someone ask. I looked up to see Corey standing above me, holding out a hand.

“We can’t ruin their moment,” I declined. He looked at me in confusion.

“Who’s moment?” I looked out at the dance floor and saw it was full of people, the first dance long over with. “You looked spaced out there for a while. Are you okay?” he asked.

“Uh, yeah, sorry. I guess I’m just tired,” I told him.

“So how about that dance?” He held his hand out to me again and I reached up to accept it.
He pulled me out to the dance floor. He wrapped his arms around my waist as I wrapped mine around his neck. We danced in silence for most of the song. It was awkward and nice at the same time being in his arms again, even for just a dance. I felt myself relaxing into him with every step.

“I miss you,” he whispered just before the song ended.

I pulled my head back to look up at him in surprise. A new song started, that was much faster and much louder before I could think of something to say. He pulled away from me and I watched him exit the reception into the hallway. I remained in place staring at the door as it closed behind him.

“What did he say to you?” Brianna asked, coming up behind me.

“He told me he missed me.” She sighed and guided me off the dance floor.

“Lia, maybe it’s time you hear him out.” I shook my head.

“No, not tonight. Tonight, I’m here for you.” She gave me shove in the direction of the door.

“I’m not about to do anything stupid and there are plenty of people here to help me out if I need it. Go.” I saw the look she gave me and knew that she meant what she said. I nodded and walked out the door looking for Corey.










Corey sat in a chair in an empty room down the hall from the reception. He needed a little time to himself. He’d known it would be hard to see Amelia, but he didn’t expect it to be this hard. Did she have to look so beautiful?

He’d tried to avoid her the best he could, but he was having a hard time staying away. When he saw her sitting alone while everyone else danced the night away he couldn’t help but go over. He hadn’t planned on asking her to dance. He’d just wanted to go ask if she was okay and maybe talk a little bit. Not about anything that had to do with them, because it wasn’t the right time, but just some small talk. When he’d opened his mouth to say hi, he’d asked her to dance instead.

Then when she was in his arms, her scent and touch filled his brain with memories of her. Then his mouth had betrayed him and he’d told her he missed her. She looked like a deer caught in headlights when he’d said it. Thankfully the song ended and he was able to get away from her. Now he was in here collecting his thoughts so he could go back in and enjoy his best friend’s wedding reception.

“Corey?” He looked up in surprise to see Amelia standing in the doorway. “Can I come in?” she asked. He laughed.

“I don’t know that I’m even supposed to be in here, but hey, what the hell. Better I have company if I get in trouble.” She smiled at him and made her way into the room. The only light in the room was filtering in through the doorway, but even in the shadows she took his breath away.

“We should talk about what you said in there,” she suggested. He sighed and raked a hand through his hair.

“I shouldn’t have said it,” he told her.

“I miss you too,” she blurted out. His eyes widened in surprise. That wasn’t what he’d expected her to say.

“What?” She nervously looked around the room while clasping and unclasping her hands together.

“I’m not going to pretend it’s been easy on me not being with you this past year. It hasn’t. It’s sucked. Even so, my feelings haven’t changed. Our lifestyles don’t mix. I’m not going to quit acting and you’re not going to quit hockey.” She was looking everywhere but at him. It was his turn to surprise her.

“Yes I am.” She jerked her head in his direction.

“You are what?”

“Quitting hockey. My agents looking into ways I can get out of my contract. If there isn’t one, then I’ll play it out another three seasons and quit.”
“Why would you do that?” she questioned.

“For you. Because I can’t be the man you want if I play. I don’t know how to be that guy. It’s time I supported you. So I’m going to quit for you.”

She looked at him like he was crazy, but even in the darkness of the room he could see her eyes filling with tears. She wiped a few off her cheeks only to have them replaced with more. She sniffed softly before responding again.

“Don’t you dare,” she said, strength in her voice for the first time since they’d seen each other this weekend.

“Amelia, I’m doing this for you,” he explained. She shook her head.

“No, you’re not. You’re doing it for yourself. You’re giving me an ultimatum, telling me I have to take you back as you are or you’ll quit hockey. Do you have any idea how that makes me feel? You’re turning the tables on me. You asked me to quit acting and you feel like shit about it, so in some twisted logic you’re asking me to make you quit hockey to make yourself feel better by making me the villain.” She held a hand up to silence him when he tried to cut in. “If you quit, I’ll never speak to you again.”

“Amelia-“

“No, Corey. Nothing you say right now is going to change my mind. Just know that if you give up hockey I won’t know who you are anymore. You worked your ass off to get where you are. You love it. Hell, I stood by you through all of that. If you really love me, you won’t do this. I have to get back to Brianna. My flight leaves tomorrow morning. It was really nice seeing you again.”

He watched her turn and walk out of the room. He covered his face with his hands when she was out of sight. What the hell was it going to take? Maybe nothing. Maybe he had really lost her forever.

3 comments:

  1. That was SOOOO GOOD! I hope she comes around soon.

    Please don't make us wait too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Corey, he tries to do what's right and it's thrown in his face. Because it was wrong. But still.

    I hope they get back together soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG he can't seem to do anything right...

    ReplyDelete