Sunday, August 16, 2009

Chapter 31

I glanced over at the watch I’d laid on the table as Brianna and I sat outside. I was surprised at the time and the fact that she hadn’t said anything to me about it. Then again, I guess she wouldn’t. Why would she bring up the Ducks playoff game that was starting in 15 minutes? I stood up and stretched.

“Let’s go up to the room,” I said.

“Are you sure?” she asked. I nodded and we collected our stuff.

When we reached the room Brianna got straight into the shower probably assuming we were going to go grab some dinner soon. I, however, had other plans. I couldn’t expect her to miss any of Ryan’s games just because things hadn’t worked out between Corey and I. Knowing she would argue with me if I told her to watch it, I didn’t give her a chance, buying the game on the internet while she was still showering.

“So what’s the plan?” she asked when she walked out of the bathroom.

“I think you have a game to watch,” I told her. She only hesitated for a second before responding.

“What are you talking about?” she questioned. I rolled my eyes at her.

“Bri, I saw you checking the time on the watch practically all afternoon. I’m not an idiot. I used to be that person. And before you argue, I already bought the game on the internet. It’s all set up,” I explained. She glared at me.

“Lia, you really didn’t have to,” she sighed.

“I know I didn’t have to, but I wanted to. I feel bad enough that you’re here instead of there watching Ryan.” She shrugged.

“You’re my best friend. You come first always.”

“While I appreciate that, I’m going to get angry if I just paid for a playoffs season ticket pass and you don’t want the games. Go,” I demanded. She sighed again before turning and walking into her room.

I walked out onto the veranda and looked out over the ocean. It was so beautiful and peaceful here. I never wanted to leave. Unfortunately I knew I would have to. I also knew at some point I was going to have to face what I’d come here to hide from. I felt my heart ache as I thought about it. I wondered when the ache would dull.

Sick of thinking about trying to forget Corey I walked back inside and ordered some food for dinner. It made it just in time for the first intermission and Brianna came out to eat. She didn’t mention the game but I could see the smile on her face and knew that they had to be winning. She disappeared back into her room.

When she next emerged, the game was over and she had a grin on her face. I smiled up at her in acknowledgement, but like before, we didn’t bring it up. Her phone rang a bit later during a movie and she left the room to talk to Ryan.

“So, don’t plan anything for July 10th next summer,” she said as she sat down next to me.

“You decided on a date?” I asked. She nodded and I hugged her. “I wouldn’t miss it for the world.” I saw a flash of nervousness in her eyes and I pulled back a bit. I sighed when I realized why. “It’s over a year away. If I’m not fine by then, I should just kill myself.”

“I don’t know about that, but I just thought I’d check. Ryan wants him to be the best man, but he won’t ask him if you’re not okay with that,” she said tentatively.

“Really, Bri, it’s fine. It’s your wedding. I think I can manage.”

She smiled and thanked me before settling back on the couch to watch the rest of the movie. I on the other hand couldn’t focus on the rest. Even though it was over a year away I wondered if I’d be as okay as I assured her I would be.










Corey walked into his house after another win against Detroit. He changed and then flopped down on the couch. He was still a bit amped up from the game so he knew he’d be up for another couple of hours. He turned on the TV before picking up his laptop. He wanted to just see what the other teams had done that night, but he found himself checking out tabloid sites instead.

He nearly dropped the laptop when he saw Amelia’s picture pop up onto his screen. The first picture showed her jogging on a beach. She was stretching in the second. Then he saw the third. She was hunched over in Brianna’s arms with Ticia next to her, in tears. He scanned what the short blurb about her said and read what he was hoping wasn’t the case.

It said that she’d been spotted in Hawaii where she’d been for the last two weeks. It went on to say that after blowing past the paparazzi, which wasn’t typical of her, she’d broken down into tears when they mentioned him. He threw his head back and sighed. At least now he knew where she was.

Nine days later he quietly boarded the chartered plane. Things were just not going right in his life right now. They’d just lost to Detroit in game 7 when they’d been up in the series. He wanted nothing more than to go home to someone, but he wasn’t going to be able to, because he’d been a complete asshole and pushed Amelia out of his life.

He heard Ryan talking to Brianna as the rest of the guys filed on the plane in silence. He wanted to take the phone and ask her about Amelia, but Brianna hadn’t said a word to him since he’d made that colossal mistake. Then his brain started working. He knew where Amelia was now and he didn’t have hockey to play anymore. Five days later he was on a plane to Hawaii.










I followed security from the car through the entrance to the resort. I’d started to go out and do things again in the last week, hoping that it would keep my mind off of things. I’d never been good at dealing with problems, instead choosing to run from them as long as I could. And as long as I was in Hawaii I wasn’t going to stop running.

We walked past paparazzi mixed in with people just on vacations as we walked through the lobby towards the elevators. I felt bad that they had to deal with everything, but it wasn’t by my choice. I didn’t look up and around, instead keeping my head down and my body behind the security guards. Then I froze in my tracks.

“Amelia!” a voice called out from the commotion. No, it wasn’t just a voice. I knew that voice. I turned with wide eyes to see Corey standing there looking at me. I didn’t respond right away. I just couldn’t believe that he was here.

“Let’s go, Lia,” Brianna whispered to me as she grabbed onto my arm. I looked over to see security looking at me quizzically.

“Is there an unused room we can go to?” I asked one of them, motioning towards Corey. He made a quick call before nodding.

“Right this way,” he told me. I followed him without looking to see if Corey was behind me.

“Are you sure you want to do this?” Brianna asked when I reached the door. I nodded when my voice failed me. “I’ll be right outside.”

I walked over to a wall without windows and leaned against it because I didn’t think my legs would hold me up. I watched Corey walk into the room. The door was closed behind him, leaving us alone. I chose to let him talk first since he’d obviously come here for a reason. He looked uncomfortable and unsure of himself and I got a little bit of satisfaction out of that.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered. He said it so quietly I wouldn’t have known he’d said anything if I hadn’t watched his mouth move.

“What was that?” I asked, even though I knew exactly what he’d said.

“I said I’m sorry,” he repeated. I crossed my arms over my chest and lifted my eyebrows at him. He didn’t say anything else.

“You flew all the way here just to say that? Okay, see you later.” I turned my back to him and started heading for the door.

“Meels, wait!” he called. I cringed at my nickname. Hearing him call me that just made being in the room with him even harder. I took a deep breath before turning back around.

“What do you want?” I asked.

“I wanted to apologize,” he replied. I rolled my eyes.

“Yeah, you did that already. Can I go now?” He made his way over to me until only a foot or two separated us.

“I screwed up. I was stressed about playoffs and then adding the paparazzi on top of it caused me to lose it. What I did and what I said wasn’t right. I don’t want you to quit. God, I promised you that I wouldn’t ask you to quit when we got back together, and then I did. I’m sorry,” he apologized.

“I’m glad you feel bad about it, Corey, but that doesn’t change anything,” I told him. He looked surprised.

“Of course it does. It changes everything!” he exclaimed. I shook my head.

“No, it doesn’t. You don’t get to come in and out of my life whenever you want. I feel like a yo-yo with you. One day you’re in love with me, and the next you don’t want me around. You’re asking for a fifth chance when you never should have had a third!” I yelled.

“Don’t you think I know that? I hate that I’ve been like that with you, but this whole thing has opened my eyes. I’m miserable without you. I know I have to change, and I love you so much that I’m going to. I’m changing for you.” I squeezed my eyes closed and sighed while shaking my head.

“No, you aren't. You just hate that you lost out in playoffs and you’re alone. I know you Corey. Next time there’s a problem you’re going to push me away again. I can’t live like that. I can’t live in fear of when you’re going to go off next. It’s not fair.” He groaned and raked a hand through his hair.

“I need you, Meels.” I shook my head sadly at him.

“No, you don’t. You need someone that will tolerate coming in second to you. You don’t want to compromise and you never have. With you it’s always going to be what you want or get out. I can’t do it anymore. What you need is someone like Ileana. Maybe you should give her a call.”

I turned my back on him again and made my way to the door. He didn’t call after me this time. He knew I was serious and that this was the end of us. I hesitated only for a moment trying to compose myself. I wasn’t going to cry in front of him. I opened the door and walked out into the hallway, closing the door behind me. Brianna linked her arm in mine as we walked toward the elevators.

“Are you okay?” she asked.

“I will be,” I replied.

2 comments:

  1. Good for her! Telling Corey off couldn't have been easy, but she needed too.

    ReplyDelete