Monday, March 30, 2009

Chapter 17

A strange beeping sound woke me from a deep sleep. I was still a bit groggy and it took me a minute to figure out that it sounded like an alarm. Before I could find it and turn it off I felt a body next to me shift. I froze and the night before came rushing back to me. I felt Corey’s arm slip off of me and a second later the beeping stopped.

“What the hell did we do?” I asked without turning around to look at him.

“Do you really want me to answer that?” he returned. I groaned and sat up, pulling the sheets up with me to keep my naked body covered. I noticed the flour, sugar, etc. covering my bed.

“You know what I mean!” I yelled at him.

“I know what you mean, but I don’t know what you want me to say.” I pulled my knees up to my chest and rested my forehead on them.

“Last night was stupid. It was so stupid. And a mistake!”

“Gee, thanks a lot, Meels.”

“God dammit, Corey, you know what I mean!”

“Again, I know what you mean. Obviously it shouldn’t have happened like that, but there’s no going back. What do you want me to do?”

“Nothing. There’s nothing you can do.”

He stood up and started searching for his clothes. I couldn’t help but peek out of the corner of my eye and watch his naked body move about the room. He turned back towards the bed and I pretended I hadn’t been looking at him at all.

“Can I get in the shower before I go?” he asked.

I nodded and heard him make his way into the bathroom. A minute later I heard the shower turn on. I used that time to get out of bed and grab a towel to wipe myself off the best I could before throwing some clothes on. I gathered up my sheets and threw them into the washing machine. By the time I was done Corey was out of the shower.

“Do we say anything?” I asked him. He shrugged.

“Are you planning on breaking up with Jordan?” he asked. I shook my head. “Then we don’t say anything.”

“This was obviously a mistake. It can’t happen again,” I told him sternly.

“I agree.” He made his way downstairs. I followed him and cringed when I saw the state of the kitchen. He picked up his phone and made his way to the door. “Amelia?”

“Yeah?”

“It was better than I remembered.”

He quickly walked out the door before I had time to respond. I narrowed my eyes at the door before turning back to the kitchen. This was not going to be fun.










Corey didn’t know whether to smile or punch something. He really had only intended on going over last night to apologize to Amelia. He certainly hadn’t intended on starting a food fight that led to them sleeping together. Despite his intentions he obviously couldn’t control himself around her.

Not that he necessarily regretted last night. Sure, it shouldn’t have happened like that while they’re both seeing other people, but he wouldn’t take it back for a second. Amelia had always been unbelievable, and last night was no different. He chose to smile as he thought about the night before.

His thoughts were interrupted by his phone vibrating in the center console. He didn’t remember putting his phone on vibrate only, but didn’t think too much of it. He checked the call ID to see who would be calling him so early and saw that it was Getzy.

“Hey, what’s up?” he answered. There was a short pause.

“Uh, nothing. I’m sorry, I think I have the wrong number,” Ryan replied.

“Getz, what the hell is wrong with you?” Corey questioned. There was another pause.

“Perrs?” he finally asked. Was he drunk?

“Obviously, since you called me.”

“No, I didn’t call you. I called Amelia.” It was Corey’s turn to be confused. Then he realized the call ID had said “Ryan Getzlaf” instead of “Getzy” like he had Ryan programmed in his phone.

“Ah, shit,” Corey cursed out loud.

“What are you doing with Amelia’s phone?” Ryan asked.

“We have the same phone. I obviously grabbed the wrong one,” he explained.

“Perrs, it’s 9 AM. What the hell are you doing with Amelia’s phone so early?” Fuck, now what?

“We had breakfast,” he lied. He heard Ryan laugh.

“I thought Ileana banned you from seeing Amelia.”

“She did, but she’s out of town. Why are you calling Amelia anyway?” Corey asked changing the subject.

“I was looking for Brianna. I thought Amelia might know where she was,” Ryan told him. “I’d get that phone back to her.”

“I’m doing that right now,” Corey said as he turned and headed back to Amelia’s.










I had just finished cleaning up the kitchen and was about to head upstairs to wash all that shit off of me when I heard music start to play. I paused and tried to figure out where it was coming from. It sounded like it had started mid song which was odd. I followed the sound into the living room and saw my phone sitting on the table with the screen lit. That was strange, I didn’t have whatever that song was as a ringtone. I looked at the screen and was even more surprised to see my own name on the call ID. What the hell was going on?

“Hello?” I answered.

“I have your phone. You have mine,” I heard Corey’s voice say.

“I was wondering what the hell was coming out of my phone.”

“I’ll be there in a few minutes to switch back.” He hung up and I put the phone back down. Near disaster averted. Just like he said a few minutes later there was a knock on my door.

“How did you figure out you had my phone?” I asked him as we exchanged them.

“Ryan called. He was really confused when I answered instead of you.”

“Ryan knows you had my phone?!” I exclaimed.

“Calm down. I told him we had breakfast together.” I let out a sigh of relief.

“Why was he calling me anyway?” I asked.

“He said he was looking for Brianna,” Corey responded.

“Thanks for bringing this back,” I said.

“No problem.” Corey smiled and walked back to his car. I watched him drive away before dialing Brianna’s number.

“Hey, Bri. I really need to talk to you about something. Could you come over whenever you get this?” I asked when the call went to her voicemail. I hung up the phone and went upstairs to finally take that shower. An hour later I heard a knock on my door. I opened it to see Brianna standing there with tears running down her face.

“You wanted to talk?” she asked. I grabbed her and pulled her inside.

“What’s wrong? What happened?” I asked her. She collapsed down onto the couch and started sobbing.

“Ryan and I got into a fight,” she told me. So that was why he was looking for her. I grabbed some tissues and sat down next to her on the couch.

“What about?” She grabbed a tissue and wiped at some tears before talking.

“After the game we got dinner and then went back to his place. His phone rang and I heard a girl’s voice on the other end when he answered. He got up and left the room to talk to her. I thought that was strange because he never does that. When he got back he looked upset so I asked him who had called. He told me his friend Steve. I knew he was lying but didn’t say anything. Later on when he’d basically been a jerk all night I flipped and told him I knew it was a girl. He denied it and we really got into it. He finally confessed that it was a girl he knew, but that was all he’d say. I’ve never once implied that I didn’t trust him or said that he couldn’t be friends with a girl, so why would he lie about that? The only reason he’d hide that he was talking to a girl would be because he’s cheating on me, right?”

“Bri, you don’t know that. There could be plenty of reasons why he didn’t tell you.”

“Like?” I thought for a minute and really couldn’t come up with anything. Even so, I couldn’t imagine Ryan cheating on her.

“I don’t know. What I do know is that he’s worried about you. He called me looking for you this morning. You have to talk to him.” She looked up at me and nodded.

“I know. It’s just the first real fight we’ve had, and it’s a big one. Trust isn’t exactly something you can just blow off like it’s nothing.”

“I’m sure whatever it is will make sense and you guys will be fine.”

“I hope so. You said on the phone that you needed to talk to me. What’s up?” I didn’t think now would be the time that I’d confess what Corey and I did.

“Just that I went a little crazy with the baking last night and I wanted some help eating it. I know it’s only 10 in the morning, but it’s never too early for a brownie pig out.”

She smiled and nodded. I got up and made my way into the kitchen. I grabbed two bottles of water out of the refrigerator and then the container of brownies. When I walked back into the living room I saw Brianna curled up under a blanket and flipping through the channels on the TV. She looked miserable and I hoped that whatever Ryan was hiding wouldn’t hurt her.

1 comment:

  1. damn, I was praying for some line about Corey leaving her to clean up the mess, and him one-lining back to her that he'd cleaned it up last time...

    ReplyDelete