Monday, February 2, 2009

Chapter 4

I checked out my reflection in the mirror and smiled. I looked flawless. The premier of Stay Classy was tonight and I’d enlisted the help of stylist Rachel Zoe to get me ready. She stood behind me smiling as well.

“You are a miracle worker,” I told her, turning to the side to check out my profile.

“There was no miracle needed here. That dress is amazing on you,” she replied.

Not long after I was being ushered into a limo to make my way to the premier. Jordan stepped out of the limo first and took my hand as I got out. Walking the red carpet for anything was still so strange for me. There were flashes all around, and people were always yelling your name, trying to get an interview. It was overwhelming.

After we’d finally made our way through we walked inside for the movie. It seemed to be pretty well-received, which made me happy. When it had ended, it was time for the after party. I collapsed down on Jordan’s bed hours later after mingling and drinking.

“You were funny in it. I liked it,” Jordan told me, referring to the movie. I smiled up at him from the bed as he changed into pajamas.

“You’re just saying that so you get laid tonight,” I joked. He laughed.

“No, I’m not. I mean it. I am still getting laid though, right?” I rolled my eyes and pulled him down to the bed next to me.

The next day I made my way to the gym despite my small hangover. If I missed a training session, my personal trainer, Macus, would kill me. Two hours later I felt better and made my way home. Just as I walked through the door my phone rang.

“So, how did it go last night?” Brianna asked.

“It went well. I think that people actually enjoyed it,” I told her.

“Good, so you’re in a good mood.” My smile faded.

“What’s going on?” I asked. She hesitated.

“Well, Ryan’s out of town on an east coast swing. The girls are all getting together and they invited me. I was wondering if you’d come with me.”

“Brianna, I am not dating anyone on the team. That kind of excludes me from the wives’ party,” I explained.

“No, it doesn’t. It’s at Maureen Kunitz’s house. She said she wants you to come.”

I argued with Brianna about it for at least 20 minutes, but she wouldn’t budge. Finally I gave in and agreed to go. That Friday I walked into the house behind Brianna carrying a couple of bottles of wine. We were greeted by Maureen and a few of the other wives. They led us into the kitchen where food and drinks were set out. I was shocked by the number of girls there. If I wasn’t mistaken, almost every guy on the team must have had a girlfriend or wife.

“Can I get you something to drink?” Maureen asked us. I spotted Ileana sitting at the end of the island in the kitchen.

“I could use a glass of wine,” I replied. I wasn’t a big drinker, but there was no way I was going to be able to handle Ileana any other way.

When Brianna and I had our drinks in hand we made our way into the living room. Most of the girls were in there and they were all introduced to me. I could tell immediately who was married and who wasn’t just based on the difference in demeanors. Unfortunately for me Brianna joined the group of the younger girlfriends. They may have been closer to our age, but I knew I’d relate better to the wives.

“So what is it like to be a celebrity?” one named Maggie asked me. I felt an immediate dislike to her, even though I couldn’t really explain why.

“It’s really not all that much different from what life was like before. I’m not really recognized all the time, and I try to keep a low profile to keep it that way. I still do the same things I always did. I just have to schedule them around interviews and work.”

“What’s Jordan like?” another named Jaffa asked. I wanted to slam my head off of the wall a few dozen times until I fell unconscious.

“When are you going to bring him around like you promised?” Ileana asked cutting in. She sat down immediately to my right. I clenched my teeth as I smiled at her.

“He’s pretty busy. We’ll have to see when our schedules both work and then we’ll see.”

“He’s so hot. You’re so lucky to be dating him,” a girl named Carly said. Didn’t these girls have boyfriends who were currently playing on the big screen TV in the room?

It didn’t seem to matter that I wasn’t giving long drawn out answers or that I was actually trying to pay attention to the game. The entire first period was spent focused on me and my life. It was awkward to say the least. I was grateful when the period ended and everyone made their way out of the room to refill drinks and get more food. Unfortunately the rest of the night didn’t go a whole lot better.

“Sometimes I just want to be a priority over hockey,” Ileana complained in the middle of a let’s-bash-our-boyfriends session. I wanted to strangle just about everyone involved in the conversation. How did they not see any of the stuff they were complaining about coming?

“I know exactly what you mean. I left home and moved across the country with you. Get out of the rink and come home at a decent time, you know? I’m so bored half the time,” Maggie joined in. Hi, get a job, I thought.

“It’s just always about Corey. We do what he wants to do all the time. ‘We can’t go on a weekend getaway. I have a game and practice.’ I just want a couple of days! Is that too much to ask?” Ileana continued. I could feel my resolve to let them bitch without interrupting starting to fail.

“Seriously, like I want to go to your stupid games all the time,” Jaffa threw in.

“I really should be priority number one in the relationship, not some stupid sport,” Ileana finished. I couldn’t help myself anymore.

“You want the guys to skip practice or games just so you can do something?” I asked. They all turned to look at me like I’d just broken some sort of code.

“Well, not exactly. I just hate having my life dictated by hockey,” Ileana responded.

“You realize that if it wasn’t for hockey, Corey wouldn’t be able to buy you all those things you’ve been talking about all night,” I shot at her. I heard Brianna’s sharp intake of breath at the insult, but Ileana didn’t seem to notice.

“I know, it just sucks. Make time for me when I want it, not when it’s scheduled. You’d understand if you’d ever dated a hockey player,” she commented nonchalantly.

“Amelia has though,” Brianna said.

I squeezed my eyes closed for just a moment. She was just trying to defend me, but it wasn’t helping. I’d basically intended on keeping whatever lie was being told between Corey, Brianna, Ryan, and I. Now I was outed in a way. This lie just grew enormously, and I still wasn’t sure why there was a lie to begin with.

“When did you date a hockey player?” Carly cut in.

“I dated one a few years ago.” I left it at that and hoped the subject would change. Brianna on the other hand didn’t realize I wanted the subject dropped.

“Yeah, he actually played in juniors with Corey.” Everyone’s attention was turned towards me in surprise.

“You knew Corey before this?” Ileana asked suspiciously. I nodded.

“He played junior in my hometown. I dated one of his teammates.”

“Who?” she demanded.

The first person that came to mind was the one guy I had hated the most on the team. Corey had been pretty close with him, but I'd never liked him. I knew Ileana would report back to Corey and I hoped he’d get a chuckle out of it.

“Scott Sheppard,” I replied.

Scott had been second in scoring behind Corey his one year in London and he’d been really cocky. I couldn’t stand his attitude even though he and Corey had been friends, so I’d had a good laugh when he couldn’t even crack an AHL roster the following year when he went pro. As far as I knew, he hadn’t turned out to be much of anything in the hockey world.

“Weren’t Corey and Scott good friends?” Ileana asked. I nodded and shrugged.

“That’s why you and Corey don’t get along,” Brianna said to me. I hadn’t thought about it, but I’d given the perfect cover without meaning to.

“Yep, that’s why. I broke his best friend’s heart.”

“Well, you’ve known Corey then. He’s just impossible. I get so pissed off at him all the time,” Ileana said changing the subject back to herself.

I bit my tongue the rest of the night. Ileana’s complaining didn’t stop until the game was long over. I was convinced that Corey shouldn’t be with her. Even so, I felt a little hypocritical when I criticized Ileana for complaining about Corey putting hockey first. That was exactly why I’d disappeared out of his life.

3 comments:

  1. Ileana is kind of annoying - Corey should dump her - Jordan sounds like a dreamboat, but I think Amelia would be much happier with Corey!

    More soon please - this story is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It amazes me how you're able to capture the frustration and annoyance of these girls--I've heard people from other sports say the same thing and I look at them and think they are nuts (aren't you supposed to love the one you're with, not what he does for a living?)
    Amelia and Corey would be great together again...please :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ileana sounds like someone I would love to hate...! Someone needs to put her in her place.

    Good work with the story.

    ReplyDelete