Saturday, February 28, 2009

Chapter 10

“So the guys are coming tomorrow after lunch. Probably about 1 or so,” Brianna said to me as I walked into our suite at the hotel. I collapsed down on the bed, exhausted from a long day of filming.

“Did Ryan say who was coming?” I asked. I wondered if Corey would be in the group.

“No, just said him and about 10 of the guys,” she replied. I nodded and sat up.

“Okay, we’ll have to make sure to get them on a list to get in. Thankfully it’s an indoor scene tomorrow so we won’t have to worry about them standing outside in the cold to watch.”

“Are you hungry? I can get room service or call for something?” Brianna offered. I thought about it and realized my stomach was empty. I hadn’t eaten in over 12 hours.

“Yes, please. I’ll take anything right about now.”

She flipped open a folder I knew held menus from the area. After perusing through a few she placed a phone call as I changed into sweat pants and a sweatshirt. I walked over to the thermostat and cranked up the heat. Vancouver was freezing compared to Anaheim.

I sat down in the living room of the suite and turned on the TV. There wasn’t much on this late at night, so I stuck in a movie and settled in. Not long after there was a knock on the door and Brianna got up to answer it. She came back in holding Chinese. I smiled.

“You read my mind. I probably shouldn’t be eating this, but too bad. What’d you get me?”

“I got sesame chicken, general tso’s, and shrimp lo mein figuring we could buffet it.” My smile grew.

“You’re my hero,” I joked opening up the containers.

After pigging out on way too much of the food I got into bed knowing I had to be up early the next morning. The alarm went off way too soon and I groaned as I got out of bed. I hopped into the shower quickly and then threw my hair up into a messy bun before making my way back to set. A few hours later I was taking a lunch break before beginning to film another scene.

“Amelia, they’re here!” Brianna called into the trailer. I’d just finished my hair and makeup so I followed her outside. I saw Ryan leading a pack of guys over to me.

“Hey guys! I’m glad you all came!” I told them giving each of them a hug in greeting.

I made my way through the pack until I reached the last guy. I was a little surprised, but smiled when I saw that it was Corey. He smiled back at me as I reached out to hug him like I’d done with everyone else. It was the first time I’d been that close to him since I’d seen him again, and just the smell of him brought back so many memories. He still smelled the same.

“Nice outfit,” he commented looking down at my period piece. The rest of the guys laughed.

“What, not sexy enough?” I joked twirling around for them. He rolled his eyes at me, but laughed.

I brought them all inside and gave them instructions on where they could go and where they couldn’t. I made sure to tell them to turn off their phones and make no noise when the cameras were running or they’d be kicked out and there was nothing I could do about it. They all said they understood and I made my way onto the set.










Corey watched as the director gave Amelia, and her two co-stars instructions for the next scene. He’d seen her act in plays before in high school, but it was nothing like this. He would have honestly thought that they were inside an old cabin if he hadn’t just walked through a warehouse to get here. He was curious to see what she would be like now. When the scene started, he had to admit he was impressed.

“We will not let this farm fail,” she said in a voice that only vaguely sounded like her own.

“You expect me to believe that two women can successfully run a farm of this size?” her male co-star asked. He looked over at her other female co-star who was currently sitting in the background looking worried.

“Why couldn’t two women be successful?” Amelia demanded.

“Because you don’t know what you’re doing!”

“Well, we certainly aren’t going to sell to you!”

“You would if you knew what was best for you.”

“Are you threatening me, sir?”

“It is not a threat, just some friendly advice.”

“We may be neighbors, but we’ll never be friends. I think it’s time for you to leave.” The man let out a growl and stormed out a door and off of set. The other female playing the part of Amelia’s older sister finally stood up and made her way over.

“Do you think it was wise of you to speak to him like that?” she asked Amelia.

“He’s rude and intolerable. How dare he come in here acting like that!” Amelia raged.

“Maybe we should do what he says.”

“And where would we live?”

“We could go back home instead of living out here.”

“We would have to take the train and then there would be no money left to find a place to live when we got there. Be sensible, Mary.”

“But, Sylvia, we can’t do this!”

“Yes, we can. We can do anything we put our minds to. There isn’t going to be a man out here with a nice fortune that you can marry. Honestly, Mary, I think it’s time you grew up!” Amelia said with a huff before storming out of the room and off of set.

“Cut!” the director yelled.

Corey watched them repeat the same scene numerous times with a smile on his face before the director was satisfied with the readings and the camera angles. He realized at some point Brianna had disappeared and he wondered where she had gone. Oh shit, he thought when he saw where she had disappeared to.










I made my way back over to the group and they all began to applaud. I jokingly curtsied for them with a laugh. I noticed Brianna making her way back over to us and my smile faded when I saw who was trailing behind her. This was not good.

“Amelia!” my sister called out rushing over to give me a hug.

“Ticia, what are you doing here? I thought you, mom and dad were coming in for Christmas together in a couple days.” I glanced over her shoulder towards Corey and saw the worry on his face.

“Oh, I know, but they were really getting to me, so I decided to fly out early. Who are all these guys?” she asked noticing the group. Ticia was a notorious flirt.

“These are friends of mine, from Anaheim,” I told her. “Guys, this is my sister Ticia.” I didn’t get a chance to say any more than that before I saw her smile grow.

“Omigod! Corey!” she squealed running over to hug him. “What are you doing here?”

“Meels invited us out,” he explained. I cringed at the use of my nickname. Only he and my immediate family had ever called me that. Seeing Ticia must have brought it out of him. I saw the guys exchanging glances at the scene.

“Meels?” I heard Ebbett whisper to someone else.

“You guys are talking again?! That’s so great! Are you guys back together? I don’t know what happened between the two of you, but you were the most amazing couple. I still can’t believe that after four years together you guys just broke up.”

“Ticia!” I yelled in a panic, suddenly outed. I noticed the guys looking from Corey to me in shock. My eyes locked on Corey’s, and he looked just as worried as I did.

“Amelia is the ex you haven’t been able to get over?” Ryan asked in shock.

“I knew it!” Brianna shouted. I turned to look at her. “I knew there was more to the story than you were telling everyone. I should have figured it out and I can’t believe I didn’t.”

“It’s all starting to make sense,” Chris Kunitz said from behind her.

“What are you talking about?” Corey asked him.

“The arguing you two always did, how much you talked about her, the fact that even when you two were claiming to hate the other you couldn’t stop staring at each other,” he replied. I felt my cheeks turning red.

“Why the hell would you hide that you dated her? I’d be telling everyone I knew!” Bobby Ryan joked. Everyone laughed except Corey and me.

“I wanted people to hate my ex as much as I hated her. I didn’t want people to see that she was successful without me in her life,” he answered sheepishly. I managed a smile at him.

“Can no one say anything until Corey and I have a chance to break it to Jordan and Ileana, please?” I asked. They all agreed and Corey and I exchanged glances of dread.

We quickly changed the topic and the guys stuck around to see one more scene before they had to go. Ryan promised to leave tickets for the next night’s game against the Canucks since I had the night off from filming. Before he left, I apologized to Corey about the whole incident. He just smiled and shrugged before giving me a hug and walking away. I was not looking forward to the possible aftermath of the lie.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...things are about to get very interesting when Ileana realizes she was sloppy seconds to the actress she fawns over!

    I loved the Chris Kunitz appearance! He is our newest Penguin and is already putting up spectacular numbers for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh-oh - it had to come out eventually - I hope it all works out for the best!!

    ReplyDelete